tinkknits

knitting and other shiny things...

Name:

Welcome! I love knitting having learned how at an early age...it has seen me through good times and bad. I orignally went to college to study art but ended up as an RN (dont ask how THAT happened)Still an artist at heart, I try to listen to my muse and divide my creative time between knitting/dyeing/spinning and glass bead making. Once my life calms down, I also plan to do some knit wear designing and/or writing. Originally from Pennsylvania, I have lived in the Midwest and California-and am currently nomadic.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Almost August

I have returned! I know, I know...not earth-shattering news but still it is good to be back again. Life outside of knitting has left me a bit drained as of late but I'm better now and ready to get back to knits and purls. The break was not without knitting content and I was able to finish the black shrug. No pics of that one since all I have is my cellcam and as well you know, black semi-fuzzy yarn is hard to get good shots of anyway so....you'll have to use your imagination on that one. Its a shrug, its black and its warm. I made it a bit big (still trying to work out the degree of ease thats right for me) but since I winged it without a pattern I'm not too upset at how it turned out, though I do feel a little like a gorilla at times, but its comfy and thats all I ask for in a shrug.
Last Thursday was the day of the annual Sidewalk Sale in Lawrence, and if you are from anywhere around here you know its a fun day of adventure shopping. My favorite yarn store in the world is there (The Yarn Barn) and yes! there was sale yarn to be had. Monique and I were up and on the road by 0830 (a minor miracle in itself since neither of us is a natural morning person-even though I have a day job that requires me to be up before 0600 three days a week I'll never get used to it) and we should have known something was up because as we passed into Lawrence we saw a bank thermometer that read 95 degrees at 0900 IN THE MORNING!
We were not to be deterred, there was yarn to be had after all, and we had dressed for the heat.
We made straight for the Yarn Barn, and fondled much sale yarn. I was nearly swayed by a bag of Rowan Kidsilk Haze in a lush apricot color (being Rowan,I'm sure thats not the name of the color, it is probably something like...aurora or drip or something) since I have been coveting a certain little ballet-like wrap style sweater in just such a yarn but...I could not imagine myself knitting with the stuff. I do love it, I mean, whats NOT to love about that yarn, but it will have to wait for a time when I'm more settled. As I looked around my eye fell on some matte finished cottony looking yarn called Cabana by Reynolds. It is a 65% cotton 35% acrylic blend but I could not resist its suede-like charm. I immediately envisioned a heavily textured lace wrap/throw for fall in the lovely russet color, but I really liked the sage green color too thinking perhaps I may even use it for my mom's poncho-then I got 3 balls of buff to experiment with. I left there with 23 balls of yarn and it wasn't even 10am! Monique also scored some very nice yarn for 2 projects she is working on, then, exhausted from our good fortune we went and had breakfast. (I tried to upload some pics of the yarn but Blogger is being tempermental this morning-maybe tomarrow)
There was more bargain-y goodness to be had there but those stories will have to be for another time, I'm trying to stick to knitting content here.
Imagine my surprise when, on arriving home from the shopping trip on the surface of the sun (it reached 104 degrees before we stopped looking at thermometers) I find a box on the porch containing 17 balls of Filatura di Crosa's Elena for the Corset Pullover (IK spring 2003). I had always wanted to make that sweater and inspired by its recent appearence on another blog I ordered the back issue. After I had that in my hands I began a search for the yarn, which of course is discontinued. Just when I was sure I was going to have to substitute, I did one more search and found a lovely person selling that exact yarn on ETSY! Thank you AzureGrackle!
In another minor miracle for the day, a swatch was done and woohoo! gauge obtained! Yes!
Now all I have to do is finish some green socks I'm working on and I can start....it is almost August you know. *wink*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home