tinkknits

knitting and other shiny things...

Name:

Welcome! I love knitting having learned how at an early age...it has seen me through good times and bad. I orignally went to college to study art but ended up as an RN (dont ask how THAT happened)Still an artist at heart, I try to listen to my muse and divide my creative time between knitting/dyeing/spinning and glass bead making. Once my life calms down, I also plan to do some knit wear designing and/or writing. Originally from Pennsylvania, I have lived in the Midwest and California-and am currently nomadic.

Monday, June 26, 2006

“From far, from eve and morning And yon twelve-winded sky, The stuff of life to knit me Blew hither: here am I” -Alfred Edward Housman

Welcome to tinkknits!
Bear with me as I move in, arrange the furniture, and hang pictures on the walls. This is going to be devoted to my craft and fiber passions-mainly knitting of course but also spinning, dyeing, kumihimo, and glass beadmaking. I am notorious for procrastination (so much so that I once received the book, "The Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques" as a present because the person who gave it to me thought it would teach me how to complete projects!) but I promise regular updates, progress notes and pictures of WsIP.
About the name...tink is knit backwards and, sometimes you have to take a step back before you can go forward so....it seemed the perfect name. I was going to try KNIT-TINK but as a friend pointed out it would be much better to tink then knit rather than knit then have to tink (if I didn't lose you with that last sentance then I'm sure we are going to be good friends!).
In my knitting I much prefer natural(wool)fibers(wool)over anything but will give a yarn a try if the(silk) attraction(cashmere) is(alpaca)there and it doesn't feel like knitting(cotton) with plastic string. One of my housemates, Monique, is also an artist/knitter/craftyperson and she takes the opposite approach, she likes lots of different types of yarn and doesn't get hung up on the fiber content. I don't know if it was the exposure to her wild and eclectic yarn stash or what but...my current (nearly finished!) project is 100% microfiber that feels like the best cotton I have ever used. As far as what I like to knit- I enjoy knitting socks and think of them like little knitsnacks between other projects. I have knit lace and love projects with cables and texture and look forward to really making a sweater or shawl in the near future. Even though I have been knitting since I was 8 years old, I rarely knit sweaters instead choosing smaller things like mittens, hats, scarves and baby items. Those kinds of projects allow me to try out different knitting techniques while appealing to my 90 second attention span. (ok, its longer than that but not by much...) I haven't felt the need to try fairisle or mosiac knitting yet but that too may change as time goes on.
I currently live with my best friend and her boyfriend in a lovely Victorian house in Kansas, having moved back here recently from the insanity that is California. I occupy the studio in the back of the house and get to be surrounded with every type of art supply known to man. This drives my MUSE over the edge most days-everywhere I look there is cool stuff to play with. I am still in the process of unpacking and am very grateful M is patient with me as the mountain of boxes in her living room dwindles from Everest to Mt. Sunflower. Since it is one of the traditions of knitting that every knitter must have a cat I will take credit by association for the 5 that live here (they are M's cats though, not mine)-Sebastian, Ilya, Calliope are the indoor kitties and Otto and Sam are the outdoor cats. Calliope is the one that finds yarn most fascinating and loves to hang out around anyone who is knitting and will eat yarn if it is left unattended.
I have a day job (I have to have a way to afford my yarn habit) but I'm not going to bring that up here much unless I can find a way to tie it in with knitting somehow and since that would be very unlikely indeed...you probably won't be hearing much about it.
I hope you enjoy your visits here and look forward to seeing your comments and suggestions-please feel free to leave both!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home